Submissions for 100 Words of Solitude have now closed.
Thank you, and please keep sharing, connecting and following the project!
- We welcome submissions from established, emerging and aspiring writers across the world. If you feel like you have a story to share and the right words to express it, we want to hear from you!
- Submissions are FREE to everyone. We want to make sure there is no financial barrier to submitting, especially during these difficult times. If you have any spare money, donate it to a charity helping those who are suffering the most from the current situation.
- Submissions may be in the form of vignettes, flash fiction, creative non-fiction or prose poetry. Try to capture a moment of personal / fictional experience that speaks of the current situation.
- Submissions MUST be exactly 100 words long, excluding title. Any submissions not meeting this criteria will not be considered by the panel for possible inclusion in the project.
- Submissions must be in English, however we welcome translations so long as translators are duly acknowledged.
- Submissions must be original, written specifically for this project, and inspired by local or global responses to the current situation – Corvid-19 global pandemic 2020.
- All submissions will be peer reviewed by a panel of writers/teachers/critics, and the 100 pieces published will be selected from a shortlist. All submissions will receive a personal response regardless of whether they are chosen for inclusion. (Please be patient though, as this project is being run in addition to the panel’s own day jobs, family commitments and negotiation of the unfolding situation!)
- Submissions can be on any aspect of the project’s remit, including complete solitude, group isolation (as a family for example), engagement with spaces emptied due to isolation, working while others are separated from us etc. We welcome innovative personal responses and interpretations of the theme, but they must relate to the current situation.
- Terms: in submitting your work you expressly consent to granting 100 Words of Solitude the rights to publish the English language work, in electronic form, throughout the world. You also certify that you own such rights and that the entirety of the work is original to the Author(s).
- Accepted work will be published on the 100 Words Of Solitude webpage, and as part of this will be promoted across social media. As this is a not for profit project, we cannot offer payment. Full credit will be given, naturally, and all copyright remains with the individual authors and there are no restrictions imposed should you wish to publish your work elsewhere.
- Please email submissions to email@example.com with the creative work in the body of the email to avoid any attachment issues! Please provide a short personal biog of no more than 50 words so we can learn a little about you. This doesn’t have to be about your writing career to date, but a little about who you are and where you live perhaps! We will publish this along with your piece if you are chosen.
Should the project not reach completion due to the pandemic adversely affecting the health of those running it, we will endeavour to let you all know via an announcement.